Well before I go on to the main focus of my blog post today, I just want to report a sighting of another bug in the wild. Not sure what class I would put this under but it was pretty evident that it should have been caught by doing a simple walkthrough. This one is in the realm of the newspaper called the Daily Mirror – Friday 6th January 2012.
There are two headlines on the paper.
There is an article regarding the sentencing of Stephen Lawerence (url here) where it states – Full Story on page 9.
There is a mast head at the top regarding the security issues of Wills and Catherine – Full Story on page 7.
However, when the user navigates to the appropriate pages, the stories are on the wrong pages.
Therefore here is my defect report.
Description: The Daily Mirror – dated Friday 6th January 2012 has two typographical errors on the front page. The errors in question are:
1) The Prince William and Duchess Catherine story regarding security issues with their abode indicates to the user that the full story is on page 7 of the newspaper.
2) The story regarding the sentencing of the killers of Stephen Lawrence states that the full story is on page 9 within the paper.
However, when the user navigates to the pages respectively, the stories as indicated by the front of the news paper is not found. Upon further investigation, the Prince William story is on page 9 and the Stephen Lawrence story is on page 7.
Please see screenshots for evidence.
Steps to Reproduce
1) For UK residents, buy the Daily Mirror dated Friday 6th January 2012. Alternatively borrow the newspaper if possible.
2) Assuming no visual impairment to the front page, look at the masthead and confirm that the Prince William story indicates that the story is on page 7.
3) Assuming no visual impairment to the front page, look at the Stephen Lawrence story and confirm that this story is on page 9.
4) Open the paper by turning the page till you reach page 7. This will be evident by the 7 in the top right hand corner. Look for the Prince William Story.
Result: The Stephen Lawrence story will be displayed instead of the Prince William story
Expected Result: The Prince William story should be displayed to the user.
5) Continue to page 9. Again, this will be indicated by the 9 in the top right hand corner. Look for the Stephen Lawrence story.
Result: The Prince William story will be displayed to the user.
Expected Result: The Stephen Lawrence story should be displayed to the user.
Impact on user: Confusion and double checking that the user has turned to the correct page.
As usual, comments and feedback are welcome – How can I improve my defect reports.
My next post will be about the coaching session I had with Anne-Marie Charrett (mavericktester.com/)